Chicken Liver Pate with Red Wine - Extravagance House
- 500 g chicken liver
- 250 g onion
- 150 ml full-fat milk or liquid cream
- 50 ml red wine
- 50 g butter
- 1/2-1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp oil
Peel the onion. Wash and remove any gall bladder traces. Prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Heat the oil and sweat the onion for 15 minutes on low heat, until well softened but is not caramelized.
Add the liver and sweat for another 15 minutes, or until the liver is changing color.
Add the milk or cream, the wine, and spices. Boil, covered 15-20 minutes or until the liver starts coming apart, for a softer texture. Boil without lid for a coarse texture.
Let cool, for about 1 hour. Add the butter and mix. Remove the bay leaves and move into a blender.
Divide the mixture between molds or containers and let set in the fridge for few hours or overnight.
Consume within 2-3 days. It does not keep for long.
Serve with homemade bread or on toast. You can add onion slices or bell pepper slices on top.
Melt 50 g butter and add over cooled pate. Cool again until the butter sets and serve.
Use chicken fat, if available.
If you want your pate to have the consistency of the store-bought one, you can add 10-15 g melted gelatine.
- Mix the gelatine with 50 ml water.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes. The gelatine will absorb all the water.
- Add the bowl in a pot with hot water and mix occasionally, until melted.
- Add over the pate mixture, mix until blended, and let sit overnight.
- Optional - add melted butter on top and put it in the fridge for few minutes.